Sunday, January 6, 2013


This bottle opener is made from Macassar Ebony. It has a chrome head.  As I was doing the rough shaping, my tools just started to make this shape, similar to a conga drum. So I went with it in an attempt to save as much of the black of the wood as I could

This piece is $30.  If interested, please use the contact information found in the about me or contact section of the blog.

Macassar ebony (Diospyros celebica) can have a dramatic striped appearance, somewhat similar to zebrawood. Dark brown to black heartwood with contrasting bands of yellow to golden brown. Very hard, dense, and heavy, it can be very brittle at its heart. The grain is usually straight but tear-out may occur on pieces that have interlocked or irregular grain. It is also used for high-end cabinetry, inlay work, musical instruments, or decorative applications. It is sourced from Southeast Asia

No comments: